Non-KDE apps can't play sounds

When I last installed the most recent arts packages, I
was in a bit of a rush and didn't pay attention to
dpkg. Now, I can't get any sounds in my non-KDE apps
while running KDE. If I use some other window manager,
everything's fine, and none of my apps are reporting
the card is missing or or misconfigured or anything so
it's definitely not a hardware problem. Some apps will
give the /dev/dsp busy line.

I thought I could fix this with dpkg-reconfigure arts1
but I can't change my configuration.