kded & knotify fail -> KDE 3.1.2 broken (on default Woody!!)

  Hi there, I've installed woody on my friend's computer
and added ftp.kde.org sources for KDE 3.1.2 and installed
it as well (base and i18n). The problem is that when KDE's
splash screen shows, it disappears almost immediately. I'm
unable to use KDE. Any other WM works fine.
  I've installed soundcard correctly and it works (I thought
it might be some arts problem) - but KDE is still broken.
This is what shows on the console...

startkde: Starting up...
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
ERROR: Communication problem with knotify, it probably crashed.
startkde: Shutting down...
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

And that's all. I've searched debian archives, and googled web
thoroughly, but to no avail. Please, any help much appreciated!!

The strange thing is that I have quite similar configuration
(but use FluxBox) and when I tried to install KDE the same way
on my box (to check if the problem was specific to his machine),
it worked right away!

Thank you,
Dave