KMail loosing embedded image view <--- ksycoca in /tmp ?

Hello !

This is a note on KMail 1.3.2 with KDE 2.2.2 and QT 2.3.1,
installed on a Debian Woody 3.0 rev. 1.
The KMail package version is 4.2.2.2 - 14.6.

I know, all efforts are concentrating now on KDE 3.12+...it's just for the
records. I'll enjoy any reply, though; but please note I'm not on your list.

On two different machines, i experienced that no kmail embedded image viewer
showed up anymore. It was not possible to view e.g. a jpeg-attachment. Also,
the context menu didn't show some options, most important no  'save under'.
So handling any kind of attachement other than plain text was quite
impossible.
My first serious try to track it was to delete the user's ~/.kde. After that
kmail worked o.k. again. But the next day the failure showed up again.

KDE 2 stores the 'ksycoca' file (like: 'kde system control cache' ???)
in ~/.kde/tmp-<hostname>.
For the sake of the records, i just created a new account and looked it up
once more: Yes, it seems that 'tmp-hostname' by default is created as a
symlink to a subdirectory 'kde-<user> on /tmp.

While booting this kde-directory on /tmp, like anything else on /tmp, is
cleaned away.

I have several user accounts on both machines; and in some cases i found some
KMail attachment information in 'tmp-<hostname>' .
However, on some accounts i found tmp-<hostname> to be a 'hard' local
directory. No symlink, no temp-dir on /tmp.
So i replaced all 'tmp-hostname' symlinks under ~/.kde by ordinary local
directories. Since several days it works flavless now.

I wonder why there were two different installations.
In some cases, I may have started kmail prior to any kde session, which may
have invoked kdeinit (and children) in another way than it would happen from
kdm ?  Or maybe some relict from the kde 2 shipped with the original woody
3.0; and kde changed the scheme.
who knows && good luck !

greets

-- mi

### We're gonna get US and EU patents for essential components of most
software running NOW on your computer ###