[SOLVED and Q's] Re: invalid unused variable name: `AM_LDFLAGS'

The error (see below for details) was caused by the interaction of two
things:

1) I have various generations of the gnu auto tools on my system

2) The admin/detect-autoconf.sh script in KDE prefers older versions
of automake (see checkAutomakeAclocal).  So although I installed
automake 1.7, and automake --version gives me 1.7.5, the KDE scripts
actually pick out automake 1.5.  Since some of the tools are at a
later level, they generate stuff automake 1.5 can't handle.  So it
gags.

Removing automake1.5 from my system solved the problem.

Questions:
Why is detect-autoconf.sh behind the times?  Do the later tools
versions not work with KDE?  It favors automake 1.5 over 1.6, and has
never even heard of 1.7.

Though the consequences seems less severe, detect-autoconf.sh is also
unaware of 2.57 versions of autoconf and autoheader (2.53 or 2.5x are
the last they know of).

cvs.sh includes the message
KDE requires autoconf 2.52, 2.53 or 2.54
(though 2.54 is unknown to detect-autoconf.sh, and cvs.sh actually
lets in any kind of 2.5*).

There are quite a few warnings about bad or obsolete syntax when I run
the build system through my autoconf 2.57/automake 1.7.5 system.

So are my current versions of the tools reasonable?  And how come the
tests in the KDE code seem to be lagging them?

Thanks.  And I hope this info may help someone else.