Re: Why kdelibs4-dev and XFree86 4.3.0 don't play nice together (was: Re: xlibs-pic)

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 23:45, John Gay wrote:
> >> Yeah, that's because kdelibs4-dev depends on XFree86 4.2.1, and won't
> >> work with 4.3, due to the different way we handle PIC (this is
> >> upstream's shiny new way, which I'm assured is wrong, but that's beside
> >> the point). There's no real easy way to get kdelibs4-dev to install with
> >
> >Hmm, I thought the new way (4.3.0) was the correct way with all the libs
> >being compiled with -fPIC, or is there something more to it? I seem to
> >recall someone mentioning that upstream decided to finally use -fPIC on
> >all libraries due to that even i386 couldn't prelink the libs if they
> >weren't -fPIC (Seems upstream only cares about i386).  While 4.2.1 is
> >still in sid KDE has to be compiled against xlibs-pic so that it works on
> >all archs.
> >
> This was my understanding as well. As I understand the situation, -fPIC is
> preferable to the non-PIC code which was there before.

It's not quite that simple. This is about static libraries, which policy
requires to be built without -fPIC. The problem arises when linking them
into shared objects, for which there's xlibs-pic, like other -pic
packages.

> As for up-stream only caring about i386, that's why it's called XFree86.

No, actually, it's called XFree86 as a pun on X386. Portability has
always been a goal of XFree86.

> The XFree86 team only works on *86 stuff and Debian provides the majority
> of the porting work for other archs. Hence Brandan's heavy work load.

It's certainly true that Debian still supports more architectures than
XFree86 upstream though.