Re: Why kdelibs4-dev and XFree86 4.3.0 don't play nice together (was: Re: xlibs-pic)

>> Yeah, that's because kdelibs4-dev depends on XFree86 4.2.1, and won't
>> work with 4.3, due to the different way we handle PIC (this is
>> upstream's shiny new way, which I'm assured is wrong, but that's beside
>> the point). There's no real easy way to get kdelibs4-dev to install with
>
>Hmm, I thought the new way (4.3.0) was the correct way with all the libs
>being compiled with -fPIC, or is there something more to it? I seem to
>recall someone mentioning that upstream decided to finally use -fPIC on
>all libraries due to that even i386 couldn't prelink the libs if they
>weren't -fPIC (Seems upstream only cares about i386).  While 4.2.1 is
>still in sid KDE has to be compiled against xlibs-pic so that it works on
>all archs.

This was my understanding as well. As I understand the situation, -fPIC is
preferable to the non-PIC code which was there before.

As for up-stream only caring about i386, that's why it's called XFree86.
The XFree86 team only works on *86 stuff and Debian provides the majority
of the porting work for other archs. Hence Brandan's heavy work load.

Of course I'd love to read more about this PIC -VS- non-PIC issue and what
it means in real terms for Linux and programming in general.

Cheers,

      John Gay