toggling windows open and close with buttons in panel

Dear People,

I'm (still) running KDE 2.2 on sarge. I recently managed to mess up my
fonts, so I threw out my .kde directory and reconfigured. One of the
things that seem to have disappeared is the behaviour of the taskbar
in the middle of the panel. Before this, I could left click on a
button and it would open (expand) a window and a second left click
would iconify it. I miss this behaviour. Anyone know how to get it
back?  Please feel free to cc any reply to my email address if you
wish. Thanks.

                                                             Faheem.