Re: latest kde 3.1.2

> I install libarts1 (1.1.2-1), but kdelibs4 (is this the first KDE
> package I should install, I'm not sure what order the KDE packages
> should be installed in), still complains:

You need libarts1_1.1.2-0woody1 from kde.org as libarts1_1.1.2-1 is compilied
with gcc-3.3 whereas the kde you are trying to install from kde.org is
compiled with gcc-2.95.

The way I see it you have to remove libarts1 and then play with
/etc/apt/preferences to give the kde.org source higher priority than the
testing one at a guess it should be

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=sarge
Pin-Priority: 400

this is assuming your sources.list looks like the following

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
deb http://download.kde.org/stable/latest/Debian/ stable main

Thinking about it if you set the priority of stable to 1001 it should
downgrade libarts1 automatically.

Also I think you'll need libvorbis from woody which you'll have to add to
you're sources with a priority between the other 2. It's all very compicated
it would be probably easier to take the kde from sid IMHO.

All this is theory as I'm no expert and sadly can't test it on my setup.

Hope it helps

Nick