Where is my font?

I realise this might not be exactly kde related, but I've been half
following the KDE and CUPS thread and this is a similar issue?

A while back my Daughter wanted to design her own font. I had a look, tried
a few tools and eventually created her custom font, after she had lost all
interest in it (-;

However, I've got this font, and I like playing with it now and again. I've
got it enabled and working in X and KDE on my stable Debian box plus KDE3.1
from kde.org Recently I started playing with hand-writing ps files while
trying to solve a different problem. So I wrote a few from a ps cookbook I
fetched, played around with them, and even tried adding my font into the
files, which seemed to work fine. GV, and Kpdf both display the custom
fonts fine, but if I try to print the file, I get a regular font instead?
I've tried with both kprinter and lpr from GV but the results are the same,
the file calls for my custom font, GV displays the custom font, but the
printed output uses a regular font instead.

My printer is a Samsung ML4500 which is configured via CUPS using the
espGhostscript printer driver, and if I remember correctly, uses the gdi gs
driver, which is why I need the esp version of Ghostscript. The rest of my
system is Debian Stable updated regularly from the security site,  but KDE
and related tools are from kde.ord so I can use KDE3.1 instead of 2.2

In fairness, I don't really understand just how fonts work, and I remember
it took me a while to get the font working in X, which is why I was
surprised it worked in the ps files I wrote. I am guessing the GV is
fetching the fonts directly from X? But if this is the case, then why is it
not printing the fonts correctly? Does gs use a different set of fonts for
printing than it uses for X? And if so, then how can I add the font for gs
to print it properly?

Sorry if this is to non-KDE, but I know that CUPS, qt and KDE are all
inter-related. After all, it's hard to build any of them without the
others.

Cheers,

      John Gay