Re: KDE and CUPS upgrade problem

Paul Cupis wrote:

On Sunday 11 May 2003 22:29, Donald Spoon <dspoon@astcomm.net> wrote:

I DO have the old cupsd.conf file around (I saved it), and also have
a moderately "clean" cupsd.conf file on other computers that could
act as a baseline for all my edits.  Guess I could do the scut-work
and make the comparisons.  Time to brew up some coffee and post-pone
a few "combat naps" and get to work <grin>.  I can forward the files
to anyone who might want to put a second set of eyes on it.  I am NOT
a "programmer" so maybe someone better qualified than I should look
also.

Can you forward them to me, please?

This might have been a "red-herring" .... see below.

BTW, I use the KDE config "wizzard" almost exclusively to set up
CUPS. I mention this because this introduces another possible
variable into the problem.  I started off with KDE from Debian
"Stable" and upgraded almost immediately to the version in "testing".
I have been following that version until about 2 weeks ago, when I
upgraded to KDE 3.1.1 from "ustable".  The CUPS config wizzard has
changed along the way, and I really don't know if those changes
contributed to what I saw.  All I can say for sure is that the
current KDE 3.1.1 from "unstable" works OK for me with CUPS from
"unstabe" starting from the packager's version of cupsd.conf.  The
version currently in "testing" seems to me to be broken with respect
to setting up a LAN server.  Config of a local printer is OK.

Personally, I suspect that cupsd.conf generated by the old kprinter configuration tool are the most suspect part of this equation so far. Perhaps with further analysis of the files generated by the various tools (and upstream/package maintainers version) we will be able to solve this. It is obviously biting a number of people, and will almost certainly be a Woody->Sarge upgrade issue.

Paul Cupis

When I went back to grab the various files and double-check that everything I had said was still "correct", I discovered that CUPS wasn't working again! I had NOT changed any config files from when it was working, but I had done a few "apt-get dist-upgrades" since then. In addition, I started getting the KDE Crash Handler on both my computers that I had "upgraded" to KDE 3.1.1! The ones that still had KDE 2.2.2 on them worked fine but couldn't "see" the printer on the network via CUPS... my original "problem" here.

I poked around on my systems here and this I have discovered:

1. The KDE + CUPS from "testing" works... at least as a "client". This includes KDE 2.2.2 + cupsys 1.1.15-4 (plus addons) + libc6 2.3.1-16. The latter (libc6 version is important later on)

2. The KDE + CUPS from "unstable" works... both as a "client" and as a "server". This includes KDE 3.1.1 + cupsys 1.1.19Candidate4-1 + libc6 2.3.1-17. NOTE the libc6 "-17" in unstable verses the "-16" in testing. This "upgrade" fixed the KDE Crash Handler problem. The CUPS from "unstable" will absolutely NOT work with the "-16" libc6 version from "testing"! (Chedked out on 2 different machines).

3. My "problem" with the server not "advertising" itself to the network was fixed by changing my "Servername" from "localhost" to my computer's FQDN on my LAN (gandalf.loeffel.lan). This can be changed in the KDE 3.1.1 printer setup for CUPS and "Configure Server"--> "Server --> "Server Name". I didn't have to do this before, so I overlooked it initially. You can also manually edit /etc/cupsd.conf. I don't have an explaination as to why it was working as "localhost" a few days ago then quit....

I guess the only remaining thing to do to complete this picture here is to hook a printer up to one of my "testing" installs and see if I can get it to serve the LAN. I haven't checked out this combination yet, and all my "testing" installs are just CUPS clients using the single printer "served" on my LAN by my main machine. (I hope that is clear...).

Bottom lines:

If you are using an all "testing" system you should be fine.
If you have upgraded to KDE 3.1.1 from SID, then you probably need to make sure libc6 is upgraded to the SID version too. If you are serving a LAN, make sure your comuter's LAN name is in the "Server Name" box.

Thats it....for today.... <grin>

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-