Kamera, Pencam, hotplug, perms

Hi, I have a problem which seems like it should have
come up before, but maybe it's new, because it's got a
little twist.

I installed hotplug usb, and have a Argus DC1500
[essentially a pencam:  it requires USB data transfer,
and is not just a USB block device].  When I plug in
my camera, I see in /proc/bus/usb/001 two files, one
of which is the driver "001" and one of which is the
camera, with a different number like "005".

Now, I also installed /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam and all
that, so that it should adjust the permissions.

I used the usbcam.group as my source for usbcam, and
adjusted it to be executable.  Then from the command
line, I addgroup'd camera, and added my user name to
the group camera with #adduser myuser camera.

Note that usbcam.group refers to the group "camera".
And now my executable usbcam does, as well.

I also checked that the Argus' control variables, as
referenced in /proc/bus/usb/devices, is covered by the
graphics engine that runs all the permissions stuff.

Finally, on KDE I set up (control
panels)::(peripherals)::(camera) to include my Argus
DC1500.

When I type in camera:/ in the file manager URL, I get
my DC1500.  But when I click on it, I get one of two
messages:  "Cannot claim USB Bus", or sometimes "I/O
problem.  Cannot read file"  or sometimes "Could not
read file:  bad parameters".

Just to see if it was a permissions problem, I rather
foolishly logged into KDE as root [I know, not a good
idea, can wreck things], and tried to access the
camera from there.  No good -- it says "Cannot claim
USB Bus".  Maybe with time, it would give me the other
errors instead.

Does anyone know what is going on, and what I have to
do differently?  I've tried to follow the installation
instructions everywhere, but I seem to be doing
something wrong.