konqueror java support fails

hello all,
after many efforts I must say I cannot make konqueror of kde 3.1.1 to use
java. I have read the konqueror java faq. I have the debian packages kdejava
and kdebindings-java installed, plus j2re 1.4.1 from Sun tar.gz binary
installed. Also in Konqueror->settings->java&javascript->path to java
executable: /usr/local/j2re1.4.1/bin/ and "java globally" enabled. I get the
following message trying to load a java application:
error: java executable not found
Any help will be appreciated...
--
saluti,  Mauro

On this machine no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.