Re: Problems with Kppp of Ralf's

A Divendres 14 Febrer 2003 14:44, Achim Bohnet va escriure:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 01:45:01PM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> >
> > On Friday 14 February 2003 12:31, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> > > A Divendres 14 Febrer 2003 11:14, Achim Bohnet va escriure:
> > >
> > > I don't understand very much this. Are you telling that password entry
> > > is ignored i kppp in woody KDE 3.1? It works for root perfectly, but
> > > not for the normal users (group dip)
> >
> > AFAIK the user should be in group adm also to be able to read
> > /var/log/messages which kppp parses. In case the user can't read that
> > file, kppp hangs up.
>
> Vica versa.  When kppp (better pppd) hangs up, kppp tries to open some file
> in /var/log/ to extract the pppd entries to help the user to understand
> what's going on.
>
> AFAIR (laptop of my user not online) because kppp tried to also scan a
> /var/log/<file> that is not used by debian ,  I've added an local2 (???)
> entry to syslog.conf to log to this file and set the file readable by dip.

Well, I have added to adm group my user, and it doesn't work. I more or less
work if I add the user password to to /etc/ppp/{chap,pap}-secrets. as Achim
said. But, now, kppp doesn't hang up, but DNS doesn't work. I have to copy my
resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf.

I don't understand why I have a lot of problems with kppp in debian. I used to
be mandrake, and the user only had to put their user/pwd and the dns, gateway
etc to his config file and nothing more.

Are you sure that there's no problem with the post_installation script?

Best regard,

Leo