Re: BUG: libkdeprint_management.la missing in kdelibs4

On Mittwoch, 5. Februar 2003 07:13, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:48:31AM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Please be aware that Martin and I are *still* working on the Qt packages
> > because of Martin's stubbornness it takes ages to convince him of the
> > needed modifications. The latest change may be of importance (still to go
> > into the packages) as we're reworking libqt3-headers. It contained a) the
> > complete private headers of Qt b) a set of headers only belonging to
> > qt-embedded c) compatibilitiy headers. The goal is to remove a) and b)
> > from the package and to move c) into a libqt3-compat-headers package.
> > Though you should do fine without that compatibility package, in case you
> > need it you will want to add it to your build-deps. Please notify
> > bugs.kde.org for any compile errors showing up when compiling without the
> > compat-headers package so those can be fixed and moved to the correct Qt
> > API headers of 3.1.1 by upstream. The same counts for any third party
> > program that is going to be recompiled with Qt3.
> >
> > Ralf
>
> Is there a particular reason to split headers into multiple packages at
> all?  The only people who will have these installed are people building
> things against Qt anyway... As far as I can tell Qt only has around 13MB
> of headers?

Yes, there is. First of all, there are people using this stuff to develop
applications with. If you give them all available headers you will end up
having most apps accidentally using compatibility headers which will sooner
or later be drawn away by Trolltech. The reason why the plugin-headers
package is there is that if you build a package that derives from (mostly
stlyes) plugins, you will get a linker error at the end. In this case the
error will show up much earlier during the compile and upstream or the
author/developer will know that he did something wrong - deriving from a
plugin where he should have used the plugin interface.

Most problems of the current Qt packages came up because the packagers are no
developers.

One oddity left is that when I need libqt3-mt-dev I have to download a package
that to 99% consists of a static library of 10 Mb size. This is completely
rediculous compared to what I want. I suggested packaging the libqt.a and
libqt-mt.a into a libqt3-static-dev package but Martin still refuses "because
the policy says to put it in the -dev package".

I can't argue against stubbornness, I can just say that two weeks discussing
about every single file in this package drives me nuts, especially if debian
people never use what they package and thus will never gain any clue what to
do with it best.

Sorry for ranting but I have a very bad flu and things just driving me mad at
this end :-)

Ralf

> Chris

- --