Re: Questions about language-env

Hi,

From: Niklaus Giger <niklaus.giger@member.fsf.org>
Subject: Questions about language-env
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 21:20:26 +0100

> Many thanks to Tomohiro (the maintainer of the Debian language-env package)
> for all your great work to make life easier for non english speaking people.

Thank you for using language-env.

> My mother tongue is german and my wife is from Korea. I had no big problems to
> use neither german nor pure korean until I downloaded the (unofficial) KDE
> 3.1 packages from a mirror of ftp.kde.org.

At first, each language setting is implemented very independently in
language-env internal.  This is because different countries and
countries may have different popular softwares, and setting for each
language should be optimized for such popular softwares.  For example,
Japanese setting has a very complicated emacs setting because it has
been the only multilingual software which can use Japanese for a long
time.  Also, setting of "LANG" variable is problematic.  I don't want
to set LANG to east Asian in Linux console or terminal emulators which
don't support east Asian languages.  Cyrillic languages can choose
character encodings.

This is why it is difficult to handle two languages at the same time
by language-env.  However, I hope that we will not need complicated
settings in order only to use our native tongues in future.

And more, unfortunately, I don't know well about KDE.  If kdm doesn't
sourcce ~/.xsession , which file will be used instead?

> It seems that the new kdm version does not source the $HOME/.xsession file
> changed by set-language-env. Does somebody know which files are still sourced
> after starting a KDE session? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

For KDE, everyone can contribute language-env by sending me a sample
of dot-files, though I cannot test it.

> On the other sides I would appreciate if language-env could distinguish some
> different uses, as my wife and me would like to be able run all programs
> under the german language, using swiss-german keyboards, monetary and date
> formats but be able to input and view korean text. I manually achieve this by
> writing small scripts like this:

It is difficult so far to use two language at the same time.
For example, there are few softwares (emacsen and mlterm) which can
input both of Korean and Chinese without restarting.  And more, because
of the modular structure of language-env which I wrote above, it is
difficult to support two languages at the same time.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/