Re: kdelibs compile crashes - dependency on Xinerama_pic

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:44:20 -0600
To: debian-kde@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: kdelibs compile crashes - dependency on Xinerama_pic

> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:23:21PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:10:54AM +0500, John Bro wrote:
> >
> > | It STILL fails due to a dependency on Xinerama_pic.
> >
> > Actually I think I know what's cuasing this.  You need to have xlibs-pic
> > installed.  I'd've thought that kdelibs would build-depend on this, but
> > it doesn't seem to.  (This is an FTBFS bug, right?)

> libqt3-mt-dev depends on xlibs-pic so kdelibs just pulls it in via that.

> Chris

> ccheney@calc:~$ dpkg -p libqt3-mt-dev
> Package: libqt3-mt-dev

I now know a little more about the problem..
(thanks to Cameron).

I originally installed debian via Knoppix 3.2
Knoppix installed an xlibs-pic that is an empty
DUMMY intended to "satisfy broken dependencies in Kdelibs4-dev". This apparently satisfies *most*
build-dependencies, but not Xinerama.
It also has a high version number making it difficult
to replace! (4.3-1 vs a non-dummy 4.2.1-14)

I tried to force a downgrade but it removed tons of stuff, and finally broke KDE, so I ran a failsafe, and
using aptitude to track the broken dependencies resulted in reinstalling things exactly the way they were!
So there seem to still be no Xinerama (which I don't need anyway!) and it still breaks on Xinerama_pic.

Once again, my problem is that many KDE apps are crashing,
all with the same complaints about lbpthread and kdecore
and I'm trying to recompile kdelibs from source in an attempt to fix this.

Is there a better way??
thanks,
-- John
Check out the latest SMS services @ http://www.operamail.com, which allows you to send SMS through your mailbox.