Re: KDE 3.1.4 repository and Libranet 2.8.1

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:50:27PM -0800, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> That's what I feared, so I stayed away. However, I thought that maybe those
> binaries were no different than the ones the eventually find their way in
> sarge and sid, and if that was the case, I'd try them out.
>
> Antiphon wrote:
>
> > You cannot use those packages since Libranet 2.8.x is based from sarge.
> > The kde.org repository is only for woody machines.
> >
> > Unless you want to downgrade most of your core apps to woody, I would
> > advise against doing it.
> >
> > On Thursday 06 November 2003 04:46 pm, Ralph Alvy wrote:
> >> I notice this repository, posted over at kde.org:
> >>
> >> http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1.4/Debian stable main
> >>
> >> Is there a problem with me just adding that to my default sources.lst.
> >> Other than having extra repositories for xfce4, my current sources.lst is

I also think it would be safer to stick with the real Debian archives;
I know for both KDE and GNOME (at least in the past) it's been really
easy to get into all sorts of trouble by mixing Debian archives and
those direct from the original source, even when they provide debs (or
especially when they provide debs).

Judging from your sources.list you probably are on KDE 2.2 right now.
For the short-term, I'd be very cautious about upgrading to KDE 3
within sarge (see my question on this a few days ago, though I'm still
waiting for a definitive answer).  That is, don't do it until you can
update all your KDE stuff to v 3 at once.

If you wanted the latest, probably following the instructions for
pinning and pulling in the version from sid on
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianKDE is the way to go.  When I
did that a couple of months ago it moved a lot of my system to sid,
but I suspect the effect will be much less dramatic today.  After all,
parts of KDE 3.1 and lots of the attendent libraries (e.g., libc) have
already migrated to sarge.

Or just sit tight; eventually the whole of KDE 3 will get into sarge.

Disclaimer: I am not a KDE developer or Debian packager.  I don't even
know what libranet is.