Deb/sid KDE 3.1.1: chinese character input is right-to-left, desired: left-to-right

Hello,

I use Debian/unstable, KDE 3.1.1. As I am learning chinese, I tried to
setup chinese input support. I use the chinput system from the Debian
chinput package with the following configuration:

~/.xinitrc contains:
LANG=zh_CN.GB2312 LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312 XMODIFIERS=@im=Chinput chinput
exec wmaker

and

~/.bash_profile contains an alias:
alias chin='GTK_IM_MODULE=xim LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312 KDE_LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312 XMODIFIERS="@im=Chinput"'

I can start programs with "chin <program>" now, and I can successfully
enter chinese characters with GTK programs (such as stardict) and it also
works in Mozilla and OpenOffice. For KDE programs I face two problems (I
use kvoctrain from Debian/unstable):

1. The menu language is also in Chinese. I tried modifying LANG to EN.us
or "C", but that did not work.

2. The chinese characters can be entered correctly, but they are
incorrectly written right-to-left. The most common way to input chinese
characters is left-to-right, and I would prefer using that. I do not know
if this is a KDE setting or if its a bug. In all non-KDE applications it
works left-to-right, so it has something to do with KDE.

Is there a configurable property in KDE where I can change the input
behaviour to left-to-right, or can anyone help me tracing that problem
down systematically?

Thank you in advance,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Nowozin <nowozin@cs.tu-berlin.de>
computer science graduate student, Technische Universität Berlin