Re: UPDATE: relocation errors and accented character problems

On Thursday 09 October 2003 01:30, Paul Cupis <paul@cupis.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2003 01:23, Hendrik Sattler
>
> <ubq7@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 9. Oktober 2003 01:33 schrieb Paul Cupis:
> > > Sorry Chris, but I think you are wrong.
> > >
> > > To all encountering this error - it appears to be breaking in
> > > libxrender1 itself, not KDE. We are working on a diagnoisis and
> > > solution right now and will post when we have a tested solution.
> >
> > Just to tell you:
> > I moved /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender* aside, ran ldconfig and the
> > error was gone. That may be because /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1
> > is used instead of the symlink /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1.
>
> Correct, this is the current thinking. Branden is compiling a new
> libxrender package now, and when tested will upload to Debian.

Just to keep people up-to-date, it will be a few hours before Branden is
ready to upload a fixed, so please either downgrade or wait for the new
package to be built, tested and uploaded.

===
xrender (0.8.3-2) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Urgency medium because the problem fixed by this release bites a lot
of KDE users who are using XFree86 4.2.0 or 4.2.1 Debian packages.

  * Add new diversion of the actual old libXrender shared object (as
opposed to diverting only the symlinks).  This is necessary because
ldconfig will recreate the libXrender.so.1 symbolic link in /usr/X11R6/
lib, which causes major confusion (and possibly errors from the dynamic
loader) for anything that searches /usr/X11R6/lib before /usr/lib. /
usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1.1 is now being diverted to /usr/X11R6/
lib/xlibs.libXrender-1.1.so.1.1.  The diversion's name has to have
"xlibs." preprended because ldconfig will attempt to operate on any
plain file matching "lib*.so*".
    - debian/libxrender1.preinst
    - debian/libxrender1.postrm

  * Under duress, ship a symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.la to /
usr/lib/libXrender.la.  There appears to be a bug in libtool that that
compels it to place absolute paths to .la files in other .la files.
This symlink should allow a transition to a non-broken libtool (or the
eventual recompilation of all libraries that transitively depend on
libXrender, which is a lot of them) and will be removed in the future.
    - debian/libxrender-dev.links

 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Wed,  8 Oct 2003 19:17:31
- -0500
===