Re: KDM + environment variables

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:52:17AM +0200, Børre Gaup wrote:
> duorastat, golggotmánu 2. b. 2003 17.41, Sebastian Seifert ??álii:
> > I want to be able to select different window managers from the login
> > prompt, so I cannot just set up an ~/.xsession file that sets the
> > variable and then starts kde.
> >
> Use a file called ~/.xsession, and set your variables there.
*groan* ...

if you'd be using kdm's upstream Xsession, it would source ~/.profile
and additionally ~/.xprofile for x-specific settings.
but as debian has a somewhat strict policy, you are screwed. :-P
no, seriously: save this script as /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98private-sripts:

readonly STARTUP   #so users cannot override the system policy

test -f /etc/profile && . /etc/profile
test -f $HOME/.profile && . $HOME/.profile
for i in $PATH; do
    case :$DM_PATH: in
      ::) DM_PATH=$i;;
      *) DM_PATH=$DM_PATH:$i;;
export PATH

test -f /etc/xprofile && . /etc/xprofile
test -f $HOME/.xprofile && . $HOME/.xprofile

the DM_PATH voodoo is there to merge the path kdm set with the one set
in .profile. if you consider this superflous (on a standard debian
installl it is ...), simply remove it.