Re: KDM/X authorization problems on a laptop

On Sunday 07 September 2003 01:02, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> most network connections give a shit about the user they come from,
> if he cannot prove who he is. ;)

Heh, I would consider that reasonable, yes! :-)

> export XAUTHORITY=~kjetil/.Xauthority

Hm, but... I can't understand what my regular user would have to do with
this... I mean, I'm thrown out without being able to log in.... There
were no processes running as kjetil when I tried this... Or, rather, I
can do it without any processes running. If I try to log in, there'll
be three kdeinit-processes running afterwards, but if I just watch the
greeting come up (assuming that is what the login-screen is called?),
hit ctrl+alt+F1, log in as root and go xhost + , I'm still refused a
connection to the server, allthough ps aux says things like
root       311  1.6  4.9 22248 12192 ?       S<   12:55   0:03
/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp vt7 -auth
/var/lib/kdm/A:0-crWk72

> i don't expect this to help with the real problem, though.

Yeah.... I'm probably going in the wrong direction, but I haven't got a
clue here...

Anyway, Thomas Ritter mentioned that ssh-agent was used by kdm in a
kind, private mail. I note that on my workstation, ssh-agent is indeed
running, but not on the laptop. It could be something here...?

The question is if it is a cause or a consequence. Since I still don't
know any way to get a connection to the x-server...

I've been fiddling some more, trying to log in and set variables and
start with startx, and I'm seeing server crashes at about the same
place in the splash screen progress as I'm seeing the other bomb...
Perhaps just after "Initializing Peripherals" finishes. I get "Fatal
server error: Caught signal 4.  Server aborting". Bad sign, huh?

BTW, would upgrading to unstable (or testing) be smart...? I'm not sure
I can find the bandwidth to do it today, but I'm considering it...

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo