KDM/X authorization problems on a laptop

Dear all,

I was just given a laptop to use on a course that will take me offline
for three weeks, starting tomorrow night, and over the past couple of
days, I've been trying desperately to get Debian on it.

The install itself went smoothly, but I have some real trouble
configuring it, I think it could have something to do with KDM talking
with X. I first posted a message to debian-laptop, but I got no
response. I hope it doesn't mean the question was stupid... :-) Perhaps
people didn't know the answer, so I hope this is a better forum, and as
you understand, I'm in a slight hurry... :-)

The laptop itself is a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D, the further specs (as
well as some install notes), can be found at
http://www.ratnaweera.net/amilo/

In addition to Woody, I installed the KDE 3.1.3 packages by inserting
the apt source at install time, so it has never seen the KDE packages
from Woody, KDE 3.1.3 was installed just after doing the tasksel stuff.
I just mention it in case it could be something that is in KDE 2.2.2
that isn't in KDE 3.1.3. Except for that, it is a pure Woody system.

I've also installed KDM to use as the default manager, and it comes up
at startup. When I log in, either as a user or as root, the splash
screen comes up, proceeds to "Initializing Peripherals" before it goes
boom, and throws me back to the login screen.

After this has happened, I can find lines such as this in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log:
AUDIT: Fri Sep  5 14:38:06 2003: 410 X: client 5 rejected from local
host
AUDIT: Fri Sep  5 14:38:06 2003: 410 X: client 5 rejected from local
host

in ~/.xsession-errors, I see this:
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
artsmessage: cannot connect to X server :0.0
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
knotify: cannot connect to X server :0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-426' to 'knotify'
ERROR: Communication problem with knotify, it probably crashed.

It seems to connect to the X-server twice every time I do this, and that
explains why I see two messages I guess. If knotify has crashed, I
guess that's a bad sign, but it may be a consequence rather than a
cause of the problem, which I assume must have to do with
authorization.

Any ideas at this point? If not, this is what I've been playing with...:

Myself I've been working along the lines of that there is something
wrong with how kdm is configured to work with the X server.

I've googled a lot and tried many things. DRI is 0666 as it should be.
Knoppix works beautifully, but I guess it only connects to the xserver
as the user who started it. I've even tried copying the Knoppix config
and start from there. There are some errors about "Generic Mouse", I
don't know why that is  configured, but I've tried commenting it out. I
think it is unrelated.

In posts to various mailing lists, I've seen people set
DisplayManager*authorize: false in xdm-config, delete /dev/dri, etc,
and I've done all that. I've also seen something about Xwrapper
mentioned in a post about an ibook,
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200302/msg00021.html
but the mentioned README is not something I find on my system...
(powerpc specific?)

I've tried (as root)
xhost +
which says
xhost:  unable to open display ""
so I set
DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY
and then go
xhost +
which says
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"

uh, so it won't even let root do that...

So, I'm out of ideas now, and getting desparate. So, any ideas would be
greatly appreciated!

Best,

Kjetil
- --