Odd pauses with KDE 3

On my only sid KDE 3 machine, I notice that the entire system seems to
pause for a few seconds at a time. Launching a new Konqueror process (I
have "minimize memory usage" set to "local only", so I assume starting a
Konqueror web browser will start a new process) has this effect, and the
KDE save file dialog also does it sometimes, particularly if I am
editing the filename to save to. When these pauses occur, everything (or
at least everything KDE-related, which is usually everything visible) is
unresponsive; even XMMS (which is using xmms-arts for output) pauses
when its current sample buffer runs out.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or suggestions for
things I should check? This problem does not occur under Gnome 2 or in
other non-KDE environments, even on the same machine.

TIA for any help that anyone can offer.

Craig