Re: Komba.. (More reasons why it has to reap mounts)

From: "Chris Cheney" <ccheney@cheney.cx>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:15:57PM -0700, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> > > Educate the users, then? They must have been educated enough to _mount_
> > > the shares, why not unmount them?
> >
> > Hehehe  I see you don't work in the real world.. I hear this often from
Linux
> > Developers, but in the real world hard enough to get them to follow simple
> > rules.  If they (average office user) can find a way to screw it up, assume
> > they will :)
>
> In most offices I have worked at IT setup the shares to automatically be
> mounted in windows. The user didn't even know what a share was except of
> course "the files I want are on drive T". The analogue of that on Linux
> would be using automount (assuming it works with cifs/smbfs) to mount
> the directories when the user looks at them. So it seems the use of
> Komba in normal office environment would not even be needed or wanted,
> since IT probably wouldn't want users trying to snoop around in various
> other shares on the network.

That doesn't follow.  In every IT shop I've worked in (quite a few, since I'm a
consultant) Windows mounts common shares (one, usually U:, for a personal drive,
and 4 or 5 that will be either common to all users or to a given user's
department).  But everybody has access to "Network Neighborhood", where
'snooping' is commonplace :-)

And, no I don't think automount would be the analogue on Linux.  On Windows
systems, those mounts are accomplished at user login time, by a script run when
you try to connect to the network.  The user can then choose to perform his own
mounts ("map network drive").  At logout time, all shares are dismounted - and
user-mounted shares _may_ be automatically remounted next login (users's
choice).  Of course, just because this is how windows works, doesn't mean it's
the way Komba _should_ work, but I tend to agree that it should require some
extra effort on a user's part to mount a persistent share as it doesn't matter
how much "education" users get, they're simply not going to bother unmounting a
share if they don't have to.  otoh, does it really matter if mounts are ever
"reaped", whether by Komba or any daemon?

derek