Re: Screens Not Found

On Saturday 26 April 2003 02:17 am, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> >>From: Russell Shaw <rjshaw@iprimus.com.au>
> >>Date: 2003/04/26 Sat AM 02:50:40 EDT
> >>To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org,  Frank <kumro@adelphia.net>
> >>Subject: Re: Screens Not Found

>   but I got errors about loading the shared library for glide. Im lost at
> how to configure XFree86?
>
> Did you do this command as root?
>
> >>man glide
> >>
> >>Has XF86Config-4 got a glide video card in it? Remove it if you don't
> >> need it. The man page says to use a soft-link for glide.
> >>
>  > "Remove it if you don't need it." What do i remove? When i setup X I
>  > used the ATI
>
>   driver and the default horizontal and vertical sync ranges. I dont know
> what u want me to remove. Please explain? Im new to configuring X...
>

> It's easier to read if you don't top-post.
>
> All the configuration of X (XFree86) is in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. If this
> file was newly installed, then don't worry about removing old stuff.
>
>  From man glide:
>
>         This driver requires that you have installed Glide. (Which
>         can,  at  the  time  of  this   writing,   be   found   at
>         http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS.html).  Also,  you need
>         to tell XFree86 where the libglide2x.so file is placed  by
>         making a soft link in the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory
>         that points to the libglide2x.so  file.  For  example  (if
>         your libglide2x.so file is in /usr/lib):
>
>           # ln -s /usr/lib/libglide2x.so /usr/X11R6/lib/modules
>
> Have you tried this?

had this problem last week on an HP ze5170. I didn't have to install any
other software to get it to work. Here is my work around:

dpkg-reconfigure --p=low xserver-xfree86

Choose the vesa driver Not the ati one
Insert amount of video ram available in KB (ie.. if you have 4MB you would
enter 4096)
For screen setup choose advanced
h-sync 16-43
v-sync 43-75

Be sure to choose the 1024x768 and below
Any other options accept the defaults or leave blank

After you get X up and running then you can go back and try fixing the ati
driver is you choose to.

HTH

Jay