kdeb (was Re: DSA-293-1, DSA-284-1)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:00 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 12:21:40AM +1000, Mark Constable wrote:
> > Seems strange, it's a major open source system that would have a
> > lot of Debian users.. is it because it's politically incorrect to
> > use anything QT based or something ?
>
> It's very, very big, and very, very hairy. Needs a lot of time, system
> power, and bandwidth.

Sounds like a job for a distributed team of people and hardware.

Other large systems also require major input. If it's ben left to an
individual with a large itch to scratch then I do suspect something
political about this situation.

> Take it from me, I used to maintain it. :)

I know, I used your debs at some point, much appreciated. Do you
happen to have any notes or any legacy of your efforts that could
be leveraged by others following in your footsteps ?

That's my point about having a dedicated website, forum, wiki and
whatever together with a _team_ of people (as suggested by the
start of this thread or thereabouts) where the whole experience
of managing a large project doesn't die when an individual finds
it all too much, for whatever reason, and gives up.

Both Knoppix and Agnula need KDE debs, did you have any interaction
with them to investigate an ongoing effort ?

As someone who has been there and done it, have you any advice for
putting together a sustainable system that could survive in the
longer term ? Your insight would be very helpful.

--markc