Re: no sound when logged as user

Hi :)
How's that for a quick response?

It's not a KDE issue, as you guessed, but anyways:

Look at /dev/audio, which should be your sound device.
It should be:

crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   4 2002-03-14 21:51 /dev/audio

This means unless you're root, OR a member of the audio group, you can't write
to it. The best way to do this is to add the user/users in question to the
audio group ie

usermod -G audio <username>

If you really don't care about permissions, you *can* make /dev/audio
read/writable by anyone, although on a multiuser system, this has some
security issues (people listening through your microphone, or playing audio
at 3am to wake you up?)

David