Qt building problems...

I hope this is the right list to post to...

Anyhow, every time I try to compile a program that uses Qt, for instance
kmplayer, dcgui or pinentry-qt, ./configure has to be run with the

	--with-qt-includes=/usr/include/qt3/
	--with-qt-libraries=/usr/lib/qt3

options. It then detects the Qt libs and includes, but fails later and says

	checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1.0) (library qt-mt) not
	found. Please check your installation!
	For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
	Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support!

... And I have installed libqt3-mt-dev 3.1.1-7. Oh and I run debian testing
with some packages from unstable (kde 3.1.1), but most of it is from testing.
Now does debian put Qt in a non-standard location, and if so, why and where?
Is there some way to fix this? This problem appears every time I try to
compile something that uses Qt 3.x.x (I've never tried compiling something
that uses 2.x.x)...

Any help appreciated... and sorry about the long post

Andrzej