Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

onsdagen den 9 april 2003 09.22 skrev Daniel Stone:

> Not to mention 64mb.

Well, where I live, 128MB appears to be the smallest size sold in common
shops.

> The point is that your figures of 256mb are extremely irresponsible,
> considering users respect you somewhat for your packaging, and I'd
> prefer you either checked your facts with a program you knew not to be
> incorrect, or just left it alone. It runs fine on anything from 64mb
> upwards, and even on 48mb, if you tune it a bit.

If you know how to "tune" the system to run in 48MB, you don't need any
recommendations. If you don't know anything, you might need recommendations.
Linux automatically uses spare memory for disk caching, so being starved on
RAM not only causes swapping to disk of virtual memory, it also reduces the
disk cache which increases disk traffic. So RAM starvation reduces
performance a lot.

I have no clue about what you do in 128MB, but using the computer for me means
more than just starting KDE, and checking that it works. It might involve
using some memory hungry program like Open Office (start office), surfing the
web (which might require netscape), and then some picture handling for
creating web pages. Everything common task that many expect to be able to do.
And here I have not even mentioned compiling KDE programs. These programs
need their REM, in additional to what KDE already uses, adding up to the
requirement. All these activities benefits much more from enough RAM than a
fast processor.

I might consider 192MB enough, but as it is hard to get 64MB memory chips,
there are often very few slots to put the memory in, and memory is so cheap,
then better go with 256MB from the beginning. Or to upgrade with 128MB from
whatever is there in the computer already.

Karolina