Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 08:34:43AM +0200, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> That might be. Which program is a good presentation tool? Some that
> graphically shows me what all the RAM is used for.
> I use it to get an approximate picture of what is going on. The individual
> numbers are not important, but rather what is going on in general.

vmstat is useful, if global. Used in conjunction with top you have all
the information you need.

> I started to use gmemusage when my system started trashing, and I just didn't
> know what caused it. gmemusage shows me immediately which application is
> trying to grab a lot of RAM. I can also see if it is something I intended, or
> if it is something unexpected, or created by some crazy web page. I find that
> some applications use a lot of RAM, and maybe avoid them for certain common
> tasks.

Well, it's more that they just allocate a lot of pixmaps.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org