Re: PATH variable and lock screen

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 11:09:33PM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
| Hello all,
| I am having  two strange problem here.
| I am using KDE 3.1 on Debian 3.0.r1 and Windowmaker 0.80.0-4.1.
|
| 1-> I have to .bash_profile these paths PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:${PATH}
| and when I login to console I have my paths but when I use KDE and run env from xterm,konsole
| i get only the default paths from /etc/profile
|
| pparisis@:~$ env|grep PATH
| PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin
|
| Any ideas why is this happening?

Does xterm -ls or konsole --ls fix the problem?  If so, your
xterm/konsole isn't set up as a login shell.  The simplest way to fix
this is to create a ~/.bashrc that looks like so:

	. ~/.bash_profile

Or alternatively, symlinking .bashrc to .bash_profile might work.  This
will make login shells and non-login shells behave exactly the same.

You can also screw around with xrdb in order to convince xterm to run as
a login shell by default; and I'd imagine that there's a similar option
buried inside konsole's preferences too.

Cheers,

Cameron.