Re: Sarge and updates today

On Wednesday, March 26, 2003 05:32 pm, David Pye wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Ralf's woody packages from ktown, and Debian Sarge.
>
> At today's apt-get upgrade, I've got the following problem:
>
> platinum:/home/dmp# apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back
>   libpng3
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1  not upgraded.
>
> If I do:
>
> platinum:/home/dmp# apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kdelibs4-dev kdesdk kspy libarts1-dev libartsc0-dev libpng-dev
> libqt3-mt-dev 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0
> not upgraded. Need to get 30.9kB of archives. After unpacking 7848kB will
> be freed. Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> It appears the new libpng3 conflicts with some of the kdelibs etc, or is it
> perhaps related to libpng-dev not having appeared/been replaced?
>
> I know you could perhaps say that's what I deserve being stuck
> uncomfortably on Sarge, between Woody and Sid KDE3.1 packages, but hey :)
>
> Just thought I'd mention it, and see if anyone else is stuck there too!
>
> David

I am also running Sarge with Ralf's stable KDE 3.1.  I did the apt-get update,
apt-get -u upgrade combo, and libpng3 was held back.  My next step, though,
was to do this:

apt-get -s install libpng3

This indicated that the reason libpng3 was held back was that it depends on
libpng12, which is a new package.  I went ahead and did

apt-get install libpng3

And got libpng3 and libpng12.  Things seem to work fine still.  I don't know
about those packages getting removed.  Maybe some KDE 3 stuff from sid made
it to sarge?

Josh