Re: KDE woody debs on CD ?

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 13:38, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:29:17PM +0100, Ralf Nolden scrawled:
> > On Wednesday 19 March 2003 13:21, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >
> > ioport needs to be removed from the xbase-clients.files file or it's
> > conflicting with xserver-xfree86 *grmbl* That's what you get when merging
> > ds2 with ds3v1 :-}
>
> Heh. :)
>
> I've fixed xf86cfg/xf86config locally, but I can't truthfully say I'm
> expecting ds3v2/ds4 before next week.
>
> > > On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:06:09AM +0100, Ralf Nolden scrawled:
> > > Hi Ralf!
> > > I'd just like to say that that's an excellent idea. I personally
> > > wouldn't get it (I run sid at home, and work uses sarge, with a fair
> > > few backports), but I think it's a great idea, especially if KDE e.V.
> > > is involved.
> >
> > Well, as others already pointed out the problem is that it gets soon
> > obsolete before you send it off to the one buying it. maybe downloadable
> > ISOs would help ?  I mean, in the end it's all for free anyway - it
> > points to the growing software problem that everyone takes everything for
> > free. Doing work for debian and kde for free is not the problem but the
> > problem is how do I buy bread and butter ? :-)  Most importantly how do
> > we offer people a service through KDE e.V. that could help the e.V. do
> > its work better ?
>
> Well, it depends who you're selling to. Does $averageuser know, or care,
> that they're a point release behind?
>
> As for how to feed yourself, that depends. If you can find someone who
> will pay you to work on free software, that's really cool.
>
> I think getting KDE eV some more cash is an excellent idea, but with so
> many developers, who do you sponsor? It's a tough question.

I think the adopt-a-geek thing is already giving good ideas how to do that.
KDE e.V. could do that in the long run in a centralized manner where
corporations could donate money and the KDE e.V., much like the FSF, could be
giving away machines, hardware, payment help for internet connection if
needed (e.g. paying for your flatrate). That's little things that sum up but
they help at least reduce the costs that a developer has to put into KDE if
he wants to participate. Payment in terms of hacking time to feed the
developers is another matter which is currently probably a bit too far
fetched from coming true.

> > As commercial distros get less and their money shrinks so will their
> > support for KDE in terms of employing people fulltime like Waldo. So I'm
> > trying to find a way that will possibly lead us to the situation where
> > the KDE project can finance itself better and maybe in a the future being
> > able to employ developers.
>
> Maybe the task now is to convince large companies (non-distributors)
> that they need KDE, and that employing someone to work on KDE will help
> them significantly.
Correct. KDE e.V. is working on exactly that issue :-)

Ralf

> Speaking for myself, and myself only,
> Daniel

- --