Re: KDE Usability survey

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:

> On Thursday 13 March 2003 01:08, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 March 2003 21:27, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > >    * The optimization effort currently going on in kde.
> >
> > I wasn't really aware of this :-)

ditto  :-)

> It would be interesting to know why the bleeding edge people insist on using
> old hardware.

- we like pushing the envelope in all directions
- crippling a nice new machine with unstable software
  doesn't always work
- easiest way out of a compatibility issue

> If you think that you want to draw people from win95 on a P100
> to to linux offering KDE3.1 you miss your audience.

I don't think the audience is missed, maybe small, and probably best
targeted (can't expect to do all of KDE3+ on an old slow box, at least
not all at the same time).

<...>
> I really hope I am wrong and that somebody is still developing the KDE1 and

Debian Weekly News - February 11th, 2003:
...the [3]Turbo Desktop Environment aimed at users with older
computers who still want to run a proper desktop. It is based on KDE 1
and Debian.

 3. http://www.liniso.de/tde/

Anyone used TDE yet?

- Bruce