KDE Control Center - Font Installer

I can use truetype fonts in KDE, but when I look at the Font Installer applet
in Control Center it doesn't list any fonts, when I try to enter
administrative mode, I get an error stating: "File does not exist and folder
is not writeable." Does anyone know what this dialog refers to and how I can
fix this problem? I'm using Woody with Ralf's debs and the new X 4.3
(although the problem is older than that).

I've had anti-aliased fonts working for a while now, with mixed results.
Sometimes they look great, some times they look crappy. I don't know what to
attribute these swings to, but I'm wondering if there is some sort of
configuration error that this Font Installer might help with.

Thanks,

Sander