Re: Where is kdenetwork, where is Chris?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:14:09AM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> libslp is not the only one linking against openssl. What is the licence of
> libslp itself? GPL?
> Let's look at cupsys: some versions were linked with openssl, then some not,
> then again, then again not, now trying to use gnutls. Other apps simply link
> against it, even now.

libslp is bsd licensed but having openssl linked in anywhere in the
chain is a problem afaik, since it requires the two clauses below to be
attached. In this case the way libslp linked to openssl required that
the kdenetwork apps (krfb/krdc) link to openssl also. I am not sure if
it would have been legal had libslp dlopened openssl instead (I don't
think that it matters how its linked).

Apps that still link against openssl that are GPL'd need to be
identified so that they can either have the necessary clause added to
their license (if possible) or be converted to using gnutls.

The issue here isn't that you can't GPL something linking to openssl but
that you must have an extra exception clause, which if you are using
anything else gpl'd in your app would then be illegal (aiui).

> IIRC, the following words are the problem:
> [...]
>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
>  *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
>  *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)"
> [...]
>  * 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
>  *    acknowledgment:
>  *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
>  *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org/)"
> [...]
>
> I don't see any problem, there. OTOH, I am not a lawyer, either.

Yes, I think those two clauses are the problem.  With gnutls being LGPL
it would be nice if everyone would slowly convert to using it instead.
The openssl advertising clause will never be changed, and aiui can not
be by its original author due to personal matters.

Chris