unstable upgrade breaks all kde3.1 apps

Hi all,

I've got my first serious problem since many years that I cannot track down.
I'm running "unstable", so this can happen :-)

Today (03/03/2003) I did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and more than
100 packages were upgraded. meanwhile (I'm running kde3.1) the window
manager was dead, the hd was spinning. I killed X and kdm started to launch
but never came to life, kdm_greeter eats more than 100 MB memory and more
than 60% CPU, so I shut down kdm and tried startx with kde3 with the same
problem, and with icewm also. Only with wmaker it works. Most stuff works
like mozilla xterm, rxvt, lynx, gtk-applications, only any kde app eats
memory and cpu and never appears (for instancce kcalc > 100 MB virtual mem,
and > 65% cpu).

So anyone has a similar problem? Any idea to track this down (library
problem?)?

I've tried to run "nice -n 10 kcalc > xxxfile 2>&1" and only found thousands
of lines where the app is loading every font file ... What the hell is this,
other apps doesn't do that. I did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 but this
did not help.

thanx

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Bunka, Dr. med. vet.
Inst. Med. Chemistry, Vet. University Vienna