Re: kde application and it's PATH

On Thursday 20 February 2003 9:12 am, Vladimir Wiedermann wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have this problem, I would like to set up different path, than
> > > standard and I want all applications and users to have this path
> > > in it's enviroment. I made changes in /etc/profile
> > > /etc/ligin.defs /etc/bash.bashrc but path in Kile is still the
> > > same (doesn't contains my addons). Can anybody help me please?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> >
> > Logging in via kdm?
> > /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
>
> I don't know what to change in kdmrc, but I changed also
> /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup and Xstartup
> and I still don't have good path.
>
> btw yes I'm logging via kdm, but I also want to know, where
> is variable path generated for first time.
>
> --
> Vladimir Wiedermann

The startup shell that is invoked via kdm is not a login shell.  You can
read the man page for bash specifically under INVOCATION for more
details.  But in a nutshell, any changes you make to /etc/profile are
not read if the shell is a non-login shell.  One way of ensuring that
the shell is started up as a login shell is to edit the file:

/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession and change the first line from:
#!/bin/sh
#!/bin/bash --login

Now, I don't know if this is the preferred way of doing this, but it
"worked for me."  If there is a better way of doing this, I would
certainly like to know so  I don't spread wrong information.

John