Re: Qt Changes ahead - Info for package maintainers + developers

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:16:08PM +0100, Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> Monday 10 February 2003 16:51, skrev Nikita V. Youshchenko:
> > > Qt 3 development requires (or should require) libqt-mt.so, Qt 2
> > > development is using libqt.so.
> >
> > Are you sure?
> > IMHO both libqt.so and libqt-mt.so can be used by Qt3 developers.
> > First is for threadless apps, second for threaded.
>
> This is true; however:
>
> Is there actually any valid reason to link with libqt.so instead of
> libqt-mt.so?
> It seems to me that even if you don't use the multithread functions, other
> software might, and therefore there is no good reason to keep libqt.so in
> memory *in addition* to libqt-mt.so
>
> As such, there is no reason to keep the development version of the
> non-multithreaded version around; that way Qt2 development will still work.
>
> (Unless Qt2 had a multithreading too, of course... did it?)

there was a libqt-mt for Qt2.

However another point to keep in mind is that with Qt2 -mt was a "new feature".
With Qt3 it is more of a base feature and the non-threaded version is only
around for backwards compatability and most likely by Qt4 will no longer exist.

So what the thoughts should be focus on is not that Qt3 developers can use
libqt.so but rather should they.  In Debian we have decided that we rather
not bloat the system by allowing linking to a soon to be depricated library
when there is absolutly no reason for it.  (That we can see currently)

Ivan
--
Ivan E. Moore II