Re: Video under KDE

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:36:03 +0100,
Albert Cervera Areny wrote:

> A Dijous 30 Gener 2003 23:38, csj@mindgate.net va escriure:
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:11:04 +0100,
> >
> > Albert Cervera Areny wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > > 	I'm subscribed at the kdenlive (a video editor for kde)
> > > mailing list. They're now facing The Problem. Transparently
> > > using video under KDE. There seem to be no libs for loading
> > > and/or saving different video formats transparently.  Using
> > > filters or some kind of pipe to treat the video. I'm talking
> > > about something as good as arts :-)
> > > 	This such thing doesn't seem to exist under linux (or
> > > open source at least).  Does somebody know of any attempt to
> > > start this under KDE? I've been looking for that lately but
> > > haven't found anything :(
> >
> > Why use libraries when you have mplayer ;-)?

> Well if mplayer enables video editing, video input/output for
> digital and analog video cameras and transition effects... then
> it would probably not be necessary but I don't think how they
> could do that without a library :-)

I believe these can already be done using a fistful of tools:
mplayer, avidemux, the Gimp, mjpegtools, transcode, ffmpeg (the
av library used by mplayer and xine), avifile, blender (recently
GPL'ed), OpenOffice and even cinelerra, which already claims to
be a kitchen-sink style video editor. All of these are free[1]
and open-sourced programs just waiting for a competent hacker to
mix and match them.

For my admittedly simple editing needs, my tool chain is limited
to mplayer (recoding) and avidemux (editing). Now I can purge
those nasty commercials from my copy of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
and get a nice fuzzy DivX (or something compatible).

[1] In some countries you might run into certain intellectual
property problems ;-)