Re: Woody/KDE3.1RC7 debs : Screensavers Report

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 01:45:25 +0100 (CET), tomas pospisek wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Paul Cupis wrote:
>
>> On Monday 27 Jan 2003 01:47, Nick Boyce wrote:
[...]
>> > I just assumed KDE's own screensavers are independent of xscreensaver.
>> > Certainly nothing I've installed from Ralf's Woody KDE3.1 site
>> > required me to install an xscreensaver package of any kind ..
>>
>> kde's screensavers should be (are?) independant of xscreensaver.
>>
>> If you want to use the xscreensaver option, you must have xscreensaver
>> installed.
>>
>> If you want to install xscreensaver, you must install exactly one of either
>> xscreensaver-nognome and xscreensaver-gnome, in order to satisfy the
>> dependancies of the xscreensaver package.
>>
>> KDE users should use xscreensaver-nognome over xscreensaver-gnome, if they do
>> not have gnome installed.
[...]
>I've got xscreensaver & xscreensaver-nognome installed and most (9 out of
>10?) of the screensavers just dont work. Nothing happens. I'm using X
>4.2.0pre1v1 though. Could that be a reason?

Hmm .. I don't have any xscreensaver-foo package installed (nothing
against those screensavers, I'm just concentrating on sorting out the
KDE native screensavers), and I have exactly the same symptom - approx
9 out of 10 of the ~160 (!) listed screensavers do absolutely nothing.

When I first noticed this I was using stock Woody Xfree 4.1.0, but
I've now switched to the Xfree 4.2.1 for Woody mentioned by Ralf (in
the "Need advice for mixed Woody/Sid system" thread on 26.Jan.03) and
it has made no difference - problem still there.

I don't think it's a good situation, but nor is it very important, and
I guess there are much bigger fish to fry for now.

BTW: does everyone else have ~160 screensavers ???   That's like ....
a _lot_ .. (even allowing for the spurious duplicates).  And do they
work ?

Cheers

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
/* Nobody will ever see this error message :-) */
   panic("Cannot initialize video hardware\n");