Re: Woody/KDE3.1RC7 debs : Screensavers Report

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 04:51:08 -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:23:07AM +0000, Nick Boyce wrote:
>-snip-
>> [I only have a generic ATI xserver installed so I guess that's why the
>> pretty GL screensavers are slow - does anyone know which xserver is
>> good for giving OpenGL with an ATI Rage Pro ?]
>
>I am not sure if this is the main site for mach64 dri information but
>here is what I found:
>
>http://dri.sourceforge.net/ <- main dri page
>http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/dri_status.html <- Mach64 specific

Thanks (to Michael Thaler as well as Chris) for these pointers.  I'll
download the RetinalBurn xserver binary and see what happens.  FWIW, I
just found a pointer at http://dri.sourceforge.net/ to some other
Mach64 binaries at http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64/ which
I'll also try.

>Mach64 dri afaik is not supported in XFree86 4.2 and probably not in
>4.3 either. Mach64 based video cards were new technology around 1997 so
>even once dri works for the cards it will still be fairly slow by
>today's standards.

Understood - I'm not expecting great results - but the machine
concerned is a Dell Optiplex GX1 400 MHz which is a standard workhorse
around my workplace - my employer bought hundreds of them for Y2K and
now we have quite a few in storerooms.  I'm basically just trying to
build a reference Woody/KDE3.1 setup on one of them to see if I can
impress my colleagues enough to make them want one on their desk, as
well as their normal Win2K workstations ...

And you know what programmers are like ;-) ... they always want snazzy
screensavers to go with the office apps and that nifty development
environment - they're bound to draw comparisons with the ones they can
get from M$ .. I know it's only surface gloss, but it's a hearts and
minds thing.

FWIW, the colleagues who're watching what I'm doing are already pretty
impressed with KDE3.1 - and it seems just as fast as Win2K on the same
hardware .. maybe faster.

Thanks for the help.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
"Teach a man to make fire; he will be warm for a day.
 Set a man on fire; he will be warm for the rest of his life."