environment question

Please excuse this quasi newbie question: I am running a testing/sid mix with kde 3.0.2 and for compiling small kde apps my /etc/profile reads

--------------------
PATH="/usr/local/kde/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"

[...]

export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

--------------------

In the QTDIR /usr/lib/qt3 directory I created symlinks

/usr/lib/qt3/bin points to /usr/bin
/usr/lib/qt3/lib points to /usr/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/include points to /usr/include/qt (pointing to nowhere, as I just realized - the dir /usr/include/qt was perhaps used in kde2 times)

With this setup most but not all small kde apps did compile but I always needed to enter the full path to /usr/local/kde/bin/[appname] to start a program.

Now I set up a woody box with Ralph's great 3.1 debs, created the same /etc/profile entries and links but when trying to compile something ./configure always gives me a "qt-mt not found" error.

Curiously enough, with google or through the KDE site I did not find any page giving a simple newbie HOWTO of setting up the environment for a Debian box.

http://women.kde.org/tips/kdetips.phtml was as close as I got but it does not account for the Debian locations of qt libs - perhaps someone can be so kind and help me set up a proper configuration.

And wouldn't it be a good thing to have a Debian KDE3-specific page, maybe linked to http://mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian/, with the environment stuff? (or did I miss a manpage?)

Greetings,

Andreas von Heydwolff