Re: Debian Woody packagesfor KDE 3.1 + Ägypten

On Friday 17 January 2003 13:01, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Ok. I installed the above packages (and pinentry-qt).

Don't. Use pinentry-gtk for now.

Ralf, please don't package pinentry-qt until the problems there are
fixed. Also, please make sure that whenever you announce something like
that, you point the people to read
  http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/devleopment.en.html (OpenPG + S/MIME)
  http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html
_first_. The S/MIME code is not in an "alpha" subdir on ftp.gnupg.org
for fun you know... ;-)

> > Now I want to use *only* the S/MIME support as I only have a S/MIME
> > certificate to encrypt my mails (at work).
> >
> > So I guessed to use the gpgme-smime.so Plugin instead of
> > pgpme-openpgp.so but kmail cannot initialize this plugin.
> >
> > And what is the difference between the kmail builtin GnuPG support
> > and the plugin version?

KMail builtin is "inline"/clearsigned and can work with PGP 2.6.x, PGP
5.0 and PGP 6.8.x, too. It cannot encrypt or sign body parts other than
the first text/plain part.
The OpenPGP plugin creates OpenPGP/MIME (rfc 3156/rfc 2015) messages,
with which you can encrypt/sign all body parts of a message. It only
works with gpg.
Unless you want to work with pgp versions, you can safely ignore KMail's
builtin pgp/gpg support (e.g. by setting the OpenPGP plugin to active).

> > Another Problem is with the certificate itself. I imported my
> > certificate in the kontrol center successfully.

The KControl module is OpenSSL-based and KDE-specific. GnuPG has it's
own certificate storage (with smartcard support), which you can
GUI-access with KGpgCertManager or on the command line via gpgsm.

Marc

--
"Similia similibus curentur"
           -- Bush's new motto in fighting terrorism.