Re: apt and preferences and Ralf's woody packages

On Monday 13 Jan 2003 22:16, Marcus C. Gottwald wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Sorry for this probably trivial and slightly off-topic question,
> but I've been looking around for quite some time now and
> couldn't find a solution...
>
> Assuming I have an /etc/apt/preferences similar to this one:
>
>   Package: *
>   Pin: release a=stable,o=Debian
>   Pin-Priority: 990
>
>   Package: *
>   Pin: release a=testing,o=Debian
>   Pin-Priority: 702
>
>   Package: *
>   Pin: release a=unstable,o=Debian
>   Pin-Priority: 701
>
> what do I need to add to make sure that the debs from
>
>   deb http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde/sid/i386/ ./
>
> are actually considered newer than the ones installed (standard
> woody)?

Hmmm, firstly, I don't you should use 990 as the 'stable' priority - 990 is
also used as the manual priority set with the -t option to apt-get.

Secondly, if you are using standard Woody, you should probably use the
Woody-compiled kde3 debs at

  deb http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde/woody/i386/ ./

But to answer your actual question, add the following stanza to
/etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: origin ktown.kde.org
Pin-Priority: 950

(where 950 is whatever priority you decide to set).

Regards,

Paul Cupis
- --
paul@cupis.co.uk