Re: more apps, and sources :-)

On Freitag, 10. Januar 2003 11:32, Graeme Merrall wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:32:39PM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Currently that repository holds about 40+ apps and libs (as dependencies
> > or necessary packages to use the apps) and I hope to extend it bit by bit
> > so most apps from apps.kde.com are available.
>
> Thanks Ralf for your hard work on this. Is there anything the rest of us
> spectators can contribute to your effort?  You mentioned something
> previously about documentation?
Yes. What you could do is two, three things:

interest to you. For documentation and translation, see i18n.kde.org and the
kde-i18n-doc mailinglist. Lauri Watts may be of help to you to direct you to
the appropriate locations of what to do. Mail her at lauri@kde.org.

b) you could also contribute to finding bugs and wishes for KDE at
bugs.kde.org (you should always do that). Create an account for you and
report bugs :-)

c) Help the people who write third party programs to add documentation and
translations to your language. Most of the apps are available at apps.kde.com
in sourcecode, but what you should do is after testing an app that you like,
go to apps.kde.com, enter the app name and try to find the appropriate page.
Then look for the homepage and contact the author. Grab the sources from my
site with apt-get source <programname> and look if there is a po directory
with a .pot file. Then translate with kbabel and send the <lang>.po file to
the author to include it in the next release. i18n.kde.org has information
how to translate applications, you may need to consult the mailinglists how
to set up kbabel (apt-get install kbabel) from kdesdk correctly so you keep
the naming convention of your language and can take over already translated
strings.

Also, it would be nice if someone would care about a debian.kde.org (or a
kde.debian.org respectively) webpage to collect all the info for KDE on
debian and fill that with content about new apps, where to get KDE for
woody/sid and how to install it, which features you could use, deblines etc.

Ralf

> Cheers,
>  Graeme

- --