Re: Build times?

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 05:12:49PM +0100, Bjoern Krombholz wrote:
> > real    487m1.732s
> > user    401m35.620s
> > sys     12m42.350s
> >
> > (450 MHz Celeron 2, 640MB RAM, Kernel 2.4.19, gcc 2.9.5)
>
> # ./configure -qt-gif -cups -debug
>
> [...]
>
> # time make
>
> [...]
>
> real    50m27.796s
> user    47m5.190s
> sys     1m24.060s
>
> (AthlonXP 1600+, 512MB DDR, 2.4.19, gcc 2.95)

i'm not impressed ... the debian build does everything four times, so
you're not even 2.5 times as fast. :-P

> Compiling C++ stuff takes much longer than plain C because of the
> preprocessing

cpp does not not need much time, but generates _huge_ amounts of code.
actually _compiling_ this code takes long, as a) g++ is slower than gcc
and b) it's such a lot of (included) code.

> and even longer on QT based code where another preprocessing stage
> (moc) is needed.

moc takes almost no time. compiling the generated mocs does (they are
tiny, but are compiled separately and therefore need to compile all
these included headers again). kde includes the mocs into the "real" c++
files, so they don't contribute much to compilation time.

greetings