Backtrace mentions "__check_rhosts_file" !?

Since we seem to be quiet at the moment, I thought I'd ask something
that's been bugging me : why does every KDE crash dump (= backtrace) I
see include the line

#1  0x40dcae48 in __check_rhosts_file () from /lib/libc.so.6

(where the virtual address may vary) ?

The presence of that "__check_rhosts_file" string always worries me -
surely nothing should be looking for an rhosts file unless I'm using
one of the hideous "r" commands (which I never am) ?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question - I'm not a KDE programmer.)

Cheers,

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."