Re: Root cannot lock cache file

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:28:22 -0500, Robert Tilley wrote:

> When I invoke aptitude as root, a red dialog appears notifying me
> that the cache file cannot be locked, then I am asked if I am root.

Probably you've had a previous run of aptitude which terminated
untidily (machine crash ?).  All the apt utilities assure themselves
of exclusive use of the package system data by trying to create a file
(the "lock file") with a specific name, and refusing to continue if
they can't.  This lock file is normally deleted before end of run, but
a crash would leave it lying around.

It sounds like aptitude is being kind to you by offering to delete the
lock file, something which it can only do if you're running as root,
or as the same user that had the failed session (actually I assume
only root can run the apt utilities, but that's another story ..).

So long as you're (a) root, and (b) not already running an apt utility
in another simultaneous session, just say yes to the running-as-root
question and let it tidy up for you.

(I can't tell you what the lock file is called - I'm in Windoze at the
moment.)

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson