From: th.ritter@gmx.net [mailto:th.ritter@gmx.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 2:30 PM
To: debian-kde@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Problems with upgrading a fresh woody installtion to kde3

Am Samstag, 16. November 2002 22:30 schrieb Carl Nelson:
> In upgrading a fresh woody binary installation (the default 2.4 kernel
> installation) from the Debian 3.0 CD, the kicker panel is trashed. I no
> longer have access to the Applications/Start menu, desktop-pager, or
> windows. The only non-standard thing I am running is a matrox 450 dual
> head.

Have you tried a clean ~/.kde dir? When it comes to importing config files
from another major KDE version, _some_ things work. I had to completely
reconfigure nearly everything from KDE1->KDE2 and from KDE2->KDE3.

do a
        tar cvfz ~/kdesettings.tgz ~/.kde*
to make all changes undoable and "rm -rf ~/.kde*" completely. Re-login and
see
if it works. You have a complete backup of everything you need to
reconfigure
your KDE.
If it really works, you may want to restore the .kde-directories and delete
things file for file, first the kicker settings, then maybe kwm settings...

If it doesn't work, just restore your old .kde-directories and search for a
software solution. Look at the ML archive, there are plenty of KDE3-Versions
for debian, 3.0.5 is on the way at the moment, maybe something is broken
because of this.

--
-----
Thomas Ritter